DON® Chicken & Chorizo Paella – By Maria Kabal (Tokar Estate)15 Oct 2020
Prep: 15 - 20 minutes
Ready in: 90 Minutes
Serves: Makes 4 serves
Brought to you by Maria Kabal from Tokar Estate, this Chicken & Chorizo Paella is easy enough for a weeknight meal yet fancy enough to serve to dinner guests. Full of Spanish flair, Maria’s paella is made with DON® RSPCA Approved Sliced Chicken Breast and Chorizo!
- Chop up the assorted vegetables for the stock, and fry up in a large pot on medium heat to get a bit of color on them. Also add the thyme and bay leaves. [Note – You can use any vegetables you have in your fridge, but this recipe includes an onion, the green part of a leek, a garlic bulb, a carrot and some celery. As a general rule of thumb, try to add all vegetables in equal amounts but any and all vegetables will add to the flavour. It is also a great way to use up any assorted vegetables you have in your fridge so that they don’t go to waste.]
- Pour in stock and wine and bring to the boil, then reduce to low medium heat.
- Gently simmer stock for one hour over a low/medium heat until it has reduced by half.
- Remove from the stove, strain liquid/stock from the vegetables into another pot and set aside. Measure out 3 cups of stock for the Paella and refrigerate or freeze the rest for another time.
- Dice up chorizo into 1cm cubes and set aside on a plate.
- Fold chicken breast slices into florets (i.e. into quarters) and place on the same plate in preparation for cooking the Paella.
- Finely chop the shallots and garlic.
- Heat up a fry pan on medium heat and fry the chorizo for 5 – 6 minutes. Then add the shallots, garlic and olive oil and fry for 3 – 4 minutes or until golden brown.
- Add the rice and stir with a wooden spoon until all rice grains are evenly coated with the fat from the chorizo and slightly toasted.
- Add 2 1/2 cups of stock and start to reduce on medium heat for approximately 10 minutes or until evaporated.
- Continue to add remaining half cup of stock and if required, add 100mL of water to ensure the rice doesn’t stick to the pan, continuing to evaporate liquid and place your slices of Chicken Breast on top of the Paella in your desired arrangement.
- Stock should begin to bubble away. Cook rice to desired consistency, ideally with some bite to it.
- Keep cooking for another 5 minutes on medium heat without stirring until a golden crust forms on the bottom. In Spain, they call this golden crust a ‘Socarrat’. Once the brown crust has evenly formed on the bottom of the rice, it is ready to serve. [Note – You want to be able to scrape the crust on the bottom of the pan with a metal spoon as that’s the most delicious part!]
- Pick a few fresh leaves of parsley for garnish and a fresh lemon wedge to squeeze over the rice. It is very traditional to serve with aioli or garlic mayonnaise. Feel free to use any store-bought brand or make your own!
- 2L Chicken Stock
- 750mL Red Wine
- 1 onion
- 1 carrot
- 1 celery
- ½ Leek
- 4 sprigs Thyme
- 4 Bay leaves
- 1 garlic bulb
- 4 diced shallots
- 4 cloves of garlic (sliced)
- 150g short grain rice
- 150g DON chorizo
- 150g DON thinly sliced chicken breast
- 2 tsp olive oil
- Parsley leaves
- Aioli (optional)
- Wedge of lemon