Chicken, Ham & Ginger Dumplings – By Victor Liong (Lee Ho Fook & CHUKKA)12 Aug 2020
Prep: 30 minutes
Ready in: 15 minutes
Serves: Makes 4 serves
They say good things come in small packages and this couldn’t be truer of Victor Liong’s (Lee Ho Fook & CHUKKA) Chicken, Ham & Ginger Dumplings! Get the whole family involved with the fun folding techniques and enjoy these crispy pillows of deliciousness any night of the week.
- Finely dice the Chinese cabbage, season with salt to help draw out the moisture and place in a bowl while you prepare the other ingredients.
- Start by preparing your dumpling filling by finely dicing the DON® English Style Leg Ham and placing in a large mixing bowl.
- Using a microplane, grate the ginger and garlic over the top of the ham.
- Finely slice three spring onions and place into the bowl. Add the chicken mince and set to the side.
- Using a muslin cloth, squeeze out any extra liquid from the cabbage and add to the mixing bowl.
- To season the filling mixture, add ½ tsp salt, 1 ½ tsp sugar, ½ tsp pepper, 2 tsp cornstarch, 2 tsp light soy sauce and 2 tsp sesame oil and mix all the ingredients together until evenly combined.
- Now the fun part, place 1 tsp of your mixture in the middle of a dumpling wrapper, moisten the edges of the wrapper, fold in half, and pinch edges together along the length of dumpling wrapper to seal in the mixture. This is called a Simple Fold.
- If you want to get creative with your folds, you can try the below:
a. If you’re feeling fancy, moisten the edges of the sealed dumpling and join the ends together to make a tortellini shape or a ‘Rose Bud’ fold.
b. My family favourite is the 8-pleat dumpling fold. All you have to do is place the mixture in the middle of the dumpling wrapper, moisten the edges and fold the dumpling in half, pinching and bending the wrapper to make small pleats or seals along the edge until it is fully closed.
- To make the dipping sauce, finely slice 1 spring onion and a small handful of coriander.
- Add 4 tsp of light soy sauce to a mixing bowl, 2 tsp of water, 1 ¼ tsp of sugar and 2 tsp of sesame oil. Add the spring onion and coriander and mix the sauce until the flavours are combined.
- Heat 2 tbsp of vegetable oil in a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat. When the pan is hot place in dumplings in a single layer, flat side down.
- Cook until the bottom of the dumpling is a light golden brown, approximately 2 minutes, before adding 1cm of water to the pan. Once the water is boiling, cover with a lid and steam for 5 minutes or until the water evaporates.
- Remove the lid to evaporate any remaining water and cook uncovered until the bottoms of the dumplings are crisp.
- Transfer to a plate and serve with dipping sauce, enjoy!
500g chicken mince
250g DON® Thinly Sliced English Style Leg Ham
10g ginger, peeled and microplaned
4 spring onions, finely sliced
2 garlic cloves, microplaned
80g Chinese cabbage, chopped lightly salted and moisture squeezed out
2 ¾ tsp sugar
½ tsp salt
½ tsp pepper
4 tsp sesame oil
6 tsp light soy sauce
2 tsp cornstarch
1 packet of dumpling wrappers
2 tbsp Vegetable oil
2 tsp water
1 small handful of coriander leaves